Python Developer in Content Delivery at ShowmaxApply now
Showmax is one of the largest and most successful subscription video-on-demand services serving sub-Saharan Africa. Showmax apps are available for smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, computers, media players and gaming consoles. Engineering team has the unique challenge of supplying shows from Hollywood’s biggest studios, local African productions, and live sports from around the world to consumers in developing economies - all without compromising quality.
Engineering and development activities are centred in Prague. This team of almost 100 people is the engine room of Showmax and acts as a streaming centre of excellence for the entire MultiChoice Group.
About the team and how this position fits:
We are a really small team that takes care about the smooth delivery of every bit. For this we have to select the right server or public Content Delivery Network (CDN) service for each playback attempt of our customers.The current members of the team take care about the servers but we need help with coding. There are existing applications tied to our Content Management System (CMS) in production that need to be modified here and there. We are also building a new service that will point customers to the best available CDN node, based both on data from customers and network healthiness. And our internal tools need some love, too.
We cooperate with other Python teams around the company but we already need both hands of a developer even in our team, now.
What we are looking for:
- Python is a must. Knowledge of GO is nice to have - will be used once in the future.
- Not worried to touch old code
- Not worried to design a new component and write a new code
- Desire to improve customer experience. CDN is the almost last mile - we have to make decisions based on the data from customers. We have to know what data to measure and how to interpret them
- Ability to speak English on a daily basis with members of other teams
What is an advantage:
- past experience with any part of our tech stack: Unified Origin, Debian Linux, Prometheus, Kibana, Elasticsearch, FFmpeg.
- Experience with performance testing and tuning of hardware and/or software
- Experience with IP-based video content delivery
- Knowledge of Smooth streaming, HLS or MPEG-Dash
- Knowledge of Shaka player, Exoplayer or AVPlayer
What will be your role:
As a Python Developer in the Content Delivery team you will work with our colleagues from the CMS, Media Engineering and Analytics teams. You’ll be working on our current systems that decide what particular server is the best for a particular user as well as developing a service that will modify CDN configuration based on real-time data. Basically when some user of any Internet Service Provider (ISP) has issues connecting to a CDN server, we may need to switch customers of that ISP to a different server or another CDN. Our job is to adapt our configuration even before the users have any visible problem (like buffering).
What you’ll get in return?
- 25 days of holidays
- 5 sick days
- Annual bonus based on performance
- Flexible hours and 2 days of home office
- Equipment that you prefer - Lenovo or Apple laptop, monitors, etc.
- Meal vouchers, MultiSport card
- Education - internal knowledge sharing, conferences, online courses, time allocation for learning purposes
- Ergonomic workspace, good coffee and snacks in the office
See other positions (11)