Python Developer - Video Encoding at ShowmaxApply now
Showmax is one of the largest and most successful subscription video on demand services serving sub-Saharan Africa. Showmax apps are available for smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, computers, media players and gaming consoles. Engineering team has the unique challenge of supplying shows from Hollywood’s biggest studios, local African productions, and live sports from around the world to consumers in developing economies - all without compromising quality.
Engineering and development activities are centred in Prague. This team of almost 100 people is the engine room of Showmax and acts as a streaming centre of excellence for the entire MultiChoice Group.
Showmax is part of the Multichoice Group - the largest satellite and DTT TV company in Africa with more than 19 million customers and annual revenues exceeding $3bn. It’s the best of both worlds - we’ve preserved the startup & agile (not SCRUM!) culture from when we started Showmax in one flat in Beroun, but we’ve now got the financial resources, commercial knowledge, and access to TV content from Africa’s largest and most successful TV company.
About team, position & role:
Media Engineering Team is responsible mainly for these two domains:
- video/audio encoding pipelines processing content to be playable on all supported devices from smart cellular phones to smart TVs or video game consoles. Our encoding farm is utilizing hundreds of CPU cores by Python and FFmpeg and is capable of encode a movie in tens of minutes.
- servers with Unified Origin packaging and encrypting content so that content is streamable with compliant DRM protection.
To get this, the team needs to:
- study codec implementations like HEVC, VP9 or AV1 or VVC and look for optimal set up of encoding tools to improve quality and speed.
- experiment with different content based encoding approaches such as per-Title or per-Scene encoding and implement results/improvements.
- work closely with other teams. From the Content Delivery team you will find out that to transfer data to Africa is sometimes about pain as only two cables are connecting Europe and Africa. The Analytics team will provide you user experience metrics like buffering events so that you can evaluate your improvements. Cooperation with front-end teams is inevitable to provide successful playback to our customers.
Who Are We Looking For:
- be proficient in software development, good coding skills in some of the modern programming languages, especially Python.
- have some experience with multimedia tools such as FFmpeg or Unified Origin, and/or understanding of audio or video compression, processing, and packaging.
- have a strong sense of personal responsibility for your work and for its overall impact on the user experience, reliability, performance, and monitoring.
- have a solid knowledge of English, spoken and written. Every day you need to be able to express yourself in spoken or written form easily. English is a primary language for task tracking, documentation, and at meetings with our multicultural colleagues.
It’s a plus for you if you have:
- understand differences between acronyms like DASH, HLS, and SmoothStreaming or AVC, HEVC, VP9, and AV1. It also implies you should be comfortable to run into situations for which you can’t find the answer on Google easily
- some basic knowledge of DRM protection systems such as Widevine, FairPlay or PlayReady.
- any experience with any part of our tech stack: Python, FFmpeg, Unified Origin, PostgreSQL, Linux, Docker, Prometheus, Alertmanager, Kibana.
We don't expect you will check every box. We want people who are willing and able to learn new things and ready to roll-up their sleeves to make things done.
What You’ll Get In Return:
- some usual benefits such as 25 days of holidays, 5 sick days, Edenred Ticket Restaurant Card (131CZK).
- two days per week home office to save time from every day commute and let you be with your family.
- a budget for attending conferences, buying books, and other professional learning services to support your self-development.
- an ergonomic workspace, hardware according to your choice of an Apple or Lenovo brands and MultiSport card. Because we want you to work in a healthy work environment and friendly atmosphere to feel comfortable and do your best magic.
Looking forward to meeting you in person!
See other positions (11)