With offices in Beroun, Prague and Amsterdam, our team of highly talented developers is building a world-scalable platform, delivering the best Subscription Video-On-Demand experience on the African continent and beyond. This blog is a place to share some of the stuff we are working on with you and other fellow engineers.
What we do
Showmax back-end is an in-house developed micro-service oriented platform. We love Open Source and a lot of our developers have been active members of OSS community. As we use OSS we also like to give something back in return through reporting bug, submitting pull-requests and open-sourcing own tools.
Majority of our back-end services are written in Ruby, Go or Python. We use EventMachine when writing applications in Ruby (Goliath as application server, executed via EinHorn). MRI as well as JRuby is used as our Ruby VM. Go would be typically used where we need large throughput. Example of such could be end-device event collection or routing of storage requests.
But our platform is not only about APIs. Primary business resolves around video streaming. To comply with this, we have our own video encoding pipeline that can orchestrate encoding on hundreds of servers. We support multiple streaming protocols as well as DRMs (Digital Rights Management). We have also developed routing layer for our origin storages to be able to scale throughput and storage capacity based on our needs.
Testing is an integral part of what we do. You can get more information from our testing page.
Get in touch with us
- Feel free to drop us an email at email@example.com,
- Please check our Bug Bounty Project if you have found an security issue with our service,
- Follow us on Twitter @ShowmaxDevs,
- Follow us on Github,
- Follow us on Instagram.
Five reasons engineers choose to work at Showmax
- Stability and funding. Showmax is backed by Naspers, a global Internet and entertainment group and one of the largest technology investors in the world.
- Control over your own destiny. We don’t blindly implement what we’re told; instead Showmax’s engineering team is an integral part of the decision making process. What we do has a clear and immediate impact on the final product.
- Open culture. We’re not stuck in narrow silos - get involved in other projects, run your own experiments, question what’s going on. No finger-pointing and no secrecy.
- There’s life outside work. We’re obsessed with outcomes, not working hours. We agree goals; how you decide to deliver is up to you.
- No BS. Showmax has a flat organisation structure with the absolute minimum of bureaucracy. We’re allergic to corporate-think and do our best to be decent humans.
Getting to know Showmax Engineers
Talked about us
We have been fortunate enough to receive a great coverage by independent writers:
- Broadband TV News | ShowMax tops Netflix in Poland
- The Wall Street Journal | In Africa, a Homegrown Rival Takes On Netflix
- Variety | Africa Offers Big Potential for Streaming Video
- hapakenya.com | Netflix copies ShowMax’s content download feature
- gadget.co.za | ShowMax peers for Africa
- DEVOPS WEEKLY ISSUE #307 - 13th November 2016 linked to the Tracing Distributed Systems article.
- Lupa.cz | Naspers investují miliardy do konkurence Netflixu. Hlavní vývoj staví v Česku
- CNBC Africa | Connecting all citizens in the 21st Century
- Forbes | How Soviet-Era Improvisation Helped Make Video Streaming Better In Africa
- Bloomberg | ShowMax Expands to 36 African Countries in Challenge to Netflix
- Forbes | Netflix Competitor ShowMax Launches Into 36 African Countries
- Cloud Native Computing Foundation (cncf.io) | Prometheus User Profile: Metrics Made Easy for ShowMax
- Forbes | Why Netflix Should Be Afraid Of Its New Competitor, Which You’ve Probably Never Heard Of
- Financial Mail | Gimme: Showmax me the movie