With offices in Beroun, Prague, Amsterdam and Johannesburg, our team of highly talented developers is building a world-scalable platform, delivering the best Subscription Video-On-Demand experience on the African continent and beyond. This blog is a place to share some of the stuff we are working on with you and other fellow engineers.
If you want to learn more about how we do things, you should check Guide to Showmax Engineering written by our CTO.
What we do
Showmax back-end is an in-house developed micro-service oriented platform. We love Open Source and a lot of our developers have been active members of OSS community. As we use OSS we also like to give something back in return through reporting bug, submitting pull-requests and open-sourcing own tools.
We support Open Source in various ways, mainly by encouraging our engineers to be part of the community, commit patches etc. We are also open-sourcing some of the tools we’ve built. You can find them at github/showmax. Many tools we do use on the infrastructure side are part of CNCF (Cloud Computing Computing Foundation). To support efforts of CNCF we have become a member during November 2017.
Majority of our back-end services are written in Ruby, Go or Python. We use EventMachine when writing applications in Ruby (Goliath as application server, executed via EinHorn). MRI as well as JRuby is used as our Ruby VM. Go would be typically used where we need large throughput. Example of such could be end-device event collection or routing of storage requests.
But our platform is not only about APIs. Primary business resolves around video streaming. To comply with this, we have our own video encoding pipeline that can orchestrate encoding on hundreds of servers. We support multiple streaming protocols as well as DRMs (Digital Rights Management). We have also developed routing layer for our origin storages to be able to scale throughput and storage capacity based on our needs.
Testing is an integral part of what we do. You can get more information from our testing page.
Get in touch with us
- Feel free to drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Please check our Bug Bounty Project if you have found an security issue with our service,
- Follow us on Twitter @ShowmaxDevs,
- Follow us on Github,
- Follow us on YouTube.
Getting to know Showmax Engineers
- Meeting Jiří Brunclík - CMS and Content Delivery
- Meeting Lukáš Korba - iOS
- Antonin’s Guide to Showmax Engineering
Found our work intriguing? Let’s have a chat. We are going to various events, please check the calendar below. You can also just send us an email at email@example.com.
Talked about us
We have been fortunate enough to receive a great coverage by independent writers:
- CZPodcast 2018-05-15 | CZ Podcast 194 - Showmax
- VoD News 2018-04-03 | Nie wszystko działa poprawnie, czyli serwisy VOD w Unii Europejskiej
- Broadband TV News 2017-12-04 | Showmax adds live streaming in Poland
- Seminář IPv6 2017 | Radek Zajíc - Jak bude vypadat nasazení IPv6 v mobilních sítích
- ČRo Magazín Leonardo 23.05.2017 | Otevření Showmax Lab
- Broadband TV News | ShowMax tops Netflix in Poland
- The Wall Street Journal | In Africa, a Homegrown Rival Takes On Netflix
- Variety | Africa Offers Big Potential for Streaming Video
- hapakenya.com | Netflix copies ShowMax’s content download feature
- gadget.co.za | ShowMax peers for Africa
- DEVOPS WEEKLY ISSUE #307 - 13th November 2016 linked to the Tracing Distributed Systems article.
- Lupa.cz | Naspers investují miliardy do konkurence Netflixu. Hlavní vývoj staví v Česku
- CNBC Africa | Connecting all citizens in the 21st Century
- Forbes | How Soviet-Era Improvisation Helped Make Video Streaming Better In Africa
- Bloomberg | ShowMax Expands to 36 African Countries in Challenge to Netflix
- Forbes | Netflix Competitor ShowMax Launches Into 36 African Countries
- Cloud Native Computing Foundation (cncf.io) | Prometheus User Profile: Metrics Made Easy for ShowMax
- Forbes | Why Netflix Should Be Afraid Of Its New Competitor, Which You’ve Probably Never Heard Of
- Financial Mail | Gimme: Showmax me the movie